History of Warpool Court Hotel
The first building on this site, 'Bryn-y-garn' ('hill of the rock'), was constructed in 1870 to re-house the long-established St Davids' Cathedral School, under the headship of Reverend Alfred Green, who lived here with his family and several boarders
In 1880 Bryn Y Garn was purchased by Mr and Mrs Charles Morgan of Carmarthenshire, who went on to open the doors to paying guests. Mrs Morgan fell in love with the location and building and carried out work to the building which can still be seen today. It was within her time at Bryn Y Garn that the walls of the kitchen garden were built, numerous greenhouses and a Catholic chapel erected within the grounds. Mrs Morgan being a lady of faith retained a priest at her own expense.
In 1899 the house was sold to a widow with six children, Mrs Ada Lansdowne Miller-Williams, who renamed it 'Warpool Court'. Assisted by her favourite son, Basil, Ada gave full rein to her hobby, the decoration of ceramic tiles, extraordinary panels depicting the genealogy and heraldry of the family's ancestry; many traced to the early kings of Wales. These historic tiles can be seen in the dining room and bar lounge.
Other title sequences painted by Ada include a beautiful nursery frieze copied from Walter Crane's "Flora's Feast", Arcadian landscapes and illustrated maxims on love in the 'Wedgewood Room'. A tile panel depicting the Bishops of St.Davids in the Cathedral vestry (which can be seen today) was created by the artist and her son.
In 1956 Warpool Court was transformed into a country house hotel by Mr and Mrs Glyn Lloyd. It was later run by their family until 1985 when it was sold. There are close links between Warpool Court and St.Davids Cathedral. The hotel proudly donated to the cathedral's 'Millenium Appeal' . Funds were raised to reface the West Front, refurbish the famous 'Father Willis' organ, provide an additional bell for the 'ring of bells' and restore the bell tower in the Close wall.
Warpool Court has been a longstanding patron of the St. Davids Cathedral Music Festival which has been responsible for bringing classical and contemporary music to Pembrokeshire for 35 years. The event takes place every May.